Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's about time...

(Written by Iulia...finally)

Yes, I haven't posted in a really long time. *sigh* I should have known when we started this blog that I wasn't going to be any good at it. I was so enthusiastic in the beginning, and then I remembered that I don't like to write. I just prefer to read everyone else's blogs. Oh well...here we are.

I found mold in our apartment the other day...judging by the images I found online, I think it might be black mold? It looks like this, only in smaller amounts:



(Here's the link http://lifeinbonitasprings.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mold.jpg)

It's growing on our bathroom ceiling and also on our bedroom/bathroom window frames. Problem is, we live in an older apartment so we don't have any sort of fan in our bathroom and the window is sealed shut (not the only one in our apartment that's like that). We concluded that my abnormally hot showers (well Allen says their abnormal...I'm always cold so they seem perfectly normal to me) build up a lot of humidity in the bathroom and bedroom. In fact, I can't leave any gum/candy in our bedroom because it melts. We've tried opening all the doors, but it still doesn't help much. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to clean it, but apparently it requires masks, gloves, and basically sealing of the rest of the house (think plastic tarps) to prevent the loose mold spores from spreading. I'm thinking we'll probably be talking to our landlord pretty soon...

We'd kind of taken a step back from house hunting, but I think this mold thing has definitely renewed my fervor. For a while, we were saying that if we don't buy a house (which is a definite possibility), we could see ourselves staying in this apartment for the remainder of our time in this town, (it has it's problems because it's older, but overall we REALLY like where we live)...but now with this mold stuff and obvious ventilation problems, I can't see us staying here with, Lord willing, a baby (or babies!). Now if only we could find a bargain home in good condition and in a good area...

In other news, it's Thanksgiving break and I'm super excited to have a few days off of work and even more excited to spend some time with family!

1 comment:

  1. Iulia, I found mold in our place too! It is growing on the window frame upstairs in our bedroom. I had no idea you had to seal off the rest of the house to clean it, but I am sure glad you mentioned that. You guys are great. Hopefully there will be more of you soon :)

    ReplyDelete