Thursday, August 27, 2009

And it has begun!

Yesterday , I spent most of my day in "intake". The morning was full of paperwork that I didn't quite know how to complete (think W-4 forms)and insurance terminology that I didn't quite understand (HRA, HMO, PPwha?). I was once again reminded how "adult" this job was (not that, you know, coaching little kids in gymnastics or being an RA in a college dorm wasn't super sophisticated as well). The afternoon was spent being trained on my work laptop (they issued me a laptop!) and doing some HR related things. It was a pretty long day, but good nonetheless...very informative and it has helped me get more acclamated to the job environment. Now if I could just figure out how to navigate my way around this building...(it's a maze!).

Today was my first official day of work with migrant education (p.s., I'm writing this on my lunch break, just so you don't think I'm slacking on the job). So far, so GREAT! The morning was filled with introductions to people whose names I'll remember by January (February at the LATEST, I promise) and getting my desk plugged in. Oh, and getting my new company cellphone set up. So now I "have" a new laptop and a cellphone. I was pushing for the company car as well, but they said they only give those to people who speak 5+ languages. Dang.

After that, we headed out for our first set of home visits (we each have a "caseload" of families in our migrant education program that we visit/communicate with on a regular basis). It was kind of nerve-wracking (I'm an introvert), but it was really neat getting to interact with/serve the Latino community in such a personal and direct way.

Anyway, lunch is over now, so more to come at a later date.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment