Monday, August 17, 2009

A Job!

(Written by Iulia)

After months and months of searching (probably since January), I have finally found a job! Even better, it is actually somewhat in my field (foreign language education). All summer long I've been applying for almost every job I came across...anything from being an office manager, to an information clerk, and even a medical assistant (much to the surprise of my mother!), but none of those really led anywhere. For a while I was getting quite frustrated because I was applying for jobs that only required high school diplomas, and I wasn't even getting considered for interviews (despite my college degree). I couldn't understand why this was, considering I had a good resume and academic history and far exceeded the minimum requirements. After much prayer, God taught me to be content in my current situation and trust in Him that He would provide.

And He did! A couple of months ago, I came across a job posting for an assistant teacher position in the infant room of a new child development center. I immediately applied for the position (I love babies!), but went weeks without hearing anything. Then last week, next thing I know, I was being invited for an interview and two days later was offered a job with the center. Instead of being an assistant teacher in the infant room (as the original job posting called for), I will be working as a bilingual "floating" teacher (going from class to class and teaching/interacting/caring for kids in Spanish). I am quite excited about this! I get to work with kids and use my Spanish...and on top of that, I get to teach foreign language the way that I've always hoped to teach my own (future, God willing) kids....through meaningful interaction and natural exposure, not through grammar drills and rote memorization (language acquisition studies show those methods don't work!!)

Anyway, I feel very blessed to have this job opportunity. It will help with household expenses, give me something to do during the day (I was getting a bit restless), and allow me to work with kiddies. I'm excited to see how God will use me in this position!

1 comment: