Thursday, August 20, 2009

School #2

(Written by Allen)

Well...here we go. I’ve officially begun my schooling on the ‘softer (science) side of life’. It’s been quite a journey for me over the past two years in many ways, with this switch from engineering to family studies being one of them. God has taught me a lot during this time, including addressing my unhealthy pride in being an ‘engineer’, not making decisions based on what I am most familiar or comfortable with, and recognizing means how I can serve Him with passions on my heart.

There’s a mix of excitement, nervousness, and intrigue as classes and research work begin. Classes are quite different, in many ways. One immediate difference is how, for the first time, I actually contribute to the ‘diversity’ in the room! (for those that don’t know, the family studies field is as heavily populated with females as the engineering field is with males).

One last thing- yesterday was the first full day in my graduate student 'office'. It was a memorable first day: I stepped in gum, almost locked myself out, caused a printer jam, and- in attempting to fix the jam- sprayed some ink over my skin and shirt. Let the fun begin…

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the softer sciences! I have no idea what that would be like, but I am looking forward to hearing about it.

    If you get a "PC load letter", just feed the printer some more paper. ;)

    By the way, I am actually missing my stapler right now. No joke!!

    (see Office Space)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the joys of 1)learning about the art of decision making and 2)being the "rookie" on your new team

    ReplyDelete