Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Another Job (A new one, not an additional one)

A few days ago I posted that I had gotten a job...and I did...but now I have another one. Here's the story:

Not too long ago, I saw a posting for a Family Engagement Specialist/Migrant Educator position with a local school district. It sounded really interesting because it called for working with families and the Latino population. For those of you who don't know, I have a HUGE heart for the Latino community. I've worked with Latino kids and parents (specifically immigrants) in various settings and God has given me a great desire to serve this population (it helps that I speak Spanish). Anyway, I eagerly applied for this job and was offered an interview. The problem was that I had to give my decision to the child development center before I would hear back anything from this job. I like to think that I had prayed for God's will in the matter, but the more I think about it, the more I'm incolined to believe that I just took the easier route. I hadn't felt that great about my interview for the Family Engagement Specialis/Migrant Educator position and wasn't confident that they would offer me the job...so instead of trusting God with it, I made the easier decision and took the job that was guaranteed. Just to clarify though, I genuinely was excited about the child center job and felt very blessed to have the opportunity (especially since it involved kids/teaching/Spanish). However, I knew it wouldn't be the job I'd be holding for years on end because it wasn't full time employment (35 hours a week).

So anyway, I went ahead and accepted the job at the child center and apart from a few misgivings here and there (as in, is this really where God wants me?) I felt pretty good about it. Then, a few days ago I received a phonce call from the school district offering me the Family Engagement Specialist/Migrant Educator position. Boy was I shocked! My mind instantly went into a frenzy trying to figure out what I would do. After talking to my husband, who gently counseled me to take it to the Lord, I calmed down a bit and was able to think rationally.

One of my biggest worries was that if I retracted my decision to work at the child center, I would be acting dishonorably. I really didn't want to leave them in a bad situation. However, the same day I got the job offer with the school district, I also found out the child center was moving their opening date back by at least a week (their building was still under construction). This would give them almost two and a half weeks to find a replacement (that's like a "two week notice" isn't it?) not to mention that I was told they'd had hundreds of applicants for the job. Knowing this, I felt more assured that I wouldn't be leaving them high and dry.

The more I thought and prayed about it, the more I felt that I should accept the new job offer. I did have some typical concerns ("What if I don't know what I'm doing? What if I'm not good enough? Will I even know how to serve these families adequately?") However, after discussing it with Allen, I grew in confidence over this new job (my hubby has such a gift for growing confidence in me...who knew words like "You'll learn" could be so powerful :) ). I called to accept the job, and got the confirmation a day later. Oh, and I also (very apologetically) told the child center that I wouldn't be working with them and they were extremely gracious and understanding about it and wished me the best of luck. What a relief it was to have their support and to know that I wasn't leaving them in a tough situation.

I have "intake" (something like orientation?) tomorrow and Thursday is my first official day...I'm super nervous!

I'm a "list person" so here's a list of a few reasons (among others) why I've accepted this job:

-I get to work with families (yay!)
-I get to work with the Latino population (another yay!...again, I have a huge heart for the Latino population and have been looking for a way to serve them, even if just through volunteer work, since we moved here.
-I get to work in education (the other job offered me this as well, just in a different way).

There are a whole plethora of other reasons too, but I think this post is long enough as it is. If you made it through the whole post, you deserve to buy yourself a donut! (I love donuts).

5 comments:

  1. You have a gift with words! I'm so glad that you have a supportive and encouraging husband.
    I've enjoyed all of your entries, but I'm not sure my comments ever make it through!
    You will do wonderfully in this position. What a gift you will be to the students, families, and the school. They are fortunate to have someone like you in the community!!
    Breathe deeply and go through the door with your head high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming the last post was by Maggie (my dear mother-in-law)? If so, then your comment worked and was warmly received! Thank you for the words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two job offers in one week! Of course, with a degree of highest measure from the University of Illinois, why wouldn't you be in demand.
    However--you and your hubby must come up with a different name for your job-Family Engagement Specialist/Migrant Educator sounds like a title to a PhD article. Way too many letters,especially for the typing impaired.
    Its good that you are nervous: its a sign you care and will do a good job. It should be a confident nervousness. You are well prepared to meet your new life challenge.
    Best of luck on Thursday. Please don't stay up all night trying to come up with the "perfect" attire!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the above poster, it is indeed a very lengthy title! I started using "copy/paste" because I got tired of typing it all out.

    May I ask who the author of that comment is? It can only be a U of I student/graduate :)

    And my attire only took me 2 minutes to decide on :)

    (And for the record, this is written on my lunch break...I'm not slacking!)

    ReplyDelete