(Written by Allen)
I recently finished reading The Reason for God by Tim Keller. In the words of the renown scholar Tony the Tiger, it was 'G-G-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T!!!!'. I literally clapped in appreciation once I finished the last page. It was a presentation of Christian truth and the Gospel unlike any other I’d read before and it was so rich. It is a book I’d recommend to everyone- from atheist, to agnostic, and to any Christian, regardless of whatever point in their walk they are at.
The book is more ‘rational’ in design, intellectually addressing the problems individuals have with believing the Christian faith (aren’t all religions the same?, why is there evil in the world?, hasn’t science disproved Christianity?, etc.) as well as addressing the central tenets of Christianity (sin, Jesus, the resurrection, etc.) and showing their logical and personal meaning to the reader. Also, there’s a humility and winsomeness in his writing that serves all readers, helping to eliminate turning-off non-believers as well as to avoid producing arrogant, self-righteous Christians.
We live in an age in which Christianity is continually under attack from multiple camps, and this book provides great information to intellectually and lovingly engage in a conversation with the most adamant of antagonists towards the Christian faith (as well as great information to embolden the faith of believers).
Beyond the book, these past two weeks (while doing exciting data entry for research work) I’ve been listening to audio from some Q&A sessions that he holds after services (posted here). Again, very, very solid. I literally started taking notes on some of what he was saying.
In the social science world of academia, I’m subjected to a lot of reading, some interesting, some (or more actually, most) dry, and some almost plain silly. It’s always good to get some insightful, practical, relevant Jesus-centered truth, and reading and listening to Tim Keller has provided me just that. Now if only his books were the assigned readings for my classes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment